Saturday, May 6, 2017

A Collegiate take on the Missouri Star

After giving a few quilts to family members for Christmas, I had a request from another family member to make a special Auburn University quilt.  Normally, I don't take on "requests"; I prefer my quilts to be a labor of love and not a labor of profit. But this one is for my mother-in-law's brother and he's been especially helpful to her of late, prepping her house for its eventual sale.  So I agreed.

If you don't know the color scheme for Auburn University, it's navy blue and orange.  I like both colors; I do not like them together.  Because of that, I only sit and sew in small time spans. The blocks are 23" square when completed and there will be 12 of them. I'm still tinkering with sashing. Here's the first block, almost completed:


I'm also changing up some of the fabric prints for the orange and navy to help give it more "pizzazz". It does at least break up the blocks a bit for my eyes.  I'm using Jenny Doan's method of the Missouri Star from her YouTube tutorials.  It does seem to make the block go a bit faster.

No comments: